Sunday, April 24, 2011

What would you do?

I'm a fierce competitor. I absolutely hate to lose. I hate losing jeopardy, I hate losing miniature golf, I hate losing bowling and I get extremely pissy when bass kick my butt. There is nothing worse to see your goals within reach only to have them snatched from you at the last second especially if its something out of your control.
I had a chance to meet and exchange numbers with Fletcher Shryock at a tournament a few weeks ago at Buckeye Lake. Fletcher is the guy that won the Lake Norman B.A.S.S. open last month. This guy is a great dude and I think he wants to succeed more then anyone Ive ever met. Anyway, after talking to him a bit, he told me that he is actually still on the waiting list for the Douglas tournament. For those of you who are not in the know. If you win a B.A.S.S. open, you are qualified to fish the Bassmaster Classic next season. The only stipulation is that you have to have fished all three tournaments in the division. So here Fletcher is, slot for the Bassmaster Classic locked up, all he has to do is get into the Douglas tournament and he is in, problem is, the field is full and there are three dudes ahead of him awaiting a slot in the Douglas tournament as well. That means 4 pros have to drop out in order for Fletcher to get his shot at Bassmaster Classic history. Is it unlikely? Prob not, but he still has that hanging over his head. That and actually staying alive long enough to make it to next year which may or may not seem like a daunting task, especially if you think about traffic, boating accidents, floods, tornadoes, tsunamis and the such.

So here is the question. Would you give up your spot in the open in order for Fletcher to be able to fish it, cementing his spot in the classic, barring loss of life? I obviously have a great shot at winning because I am so awesome but Fletcher has already secured his ticket, all he needs is for someone to punch it for him. Ive thought about it more then anyone could imagine and my conclusion is yes, I would give up my spot in the open in order for a great representative of my generation, my state, and my dreams to live out his because I would hope someone would do the same for me if I were in his position. Make us proud Fletcher.

S.T.P.

2 comments:

  1. That's a tough call man. I would like to say that I would give up my spot but honestly don't think I could pull the trigger. Your in a position to achieve what I'm sure are some life long goals of your own. I mean if it were the final spot, maybe I could...but not with 4 spots to clear. Come tournament time I think I would be out there fishing my ass off trying to make the Classic myself.

    Tough call though...good luck with that one.

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, jake its a tough one, i would say im going to be fishing, i will only do it if there is only one slot left. i talked to fletcher about it, is was extremely grateful but both he and i think that it will not come to that. thanks for reading s.t.p.

    ReplyDelete