Sunday, July 3, 2011

Holiday Fishing...

What a great weekend to get out and do some fishing. It was stupid hot but it didnt matter to me because this time of year I hit the lakes when others dont and thats the key to making your time on the water pay off. Friday night and Saturday morning was a perfect night to wack some topwater smallies and sunday morning was more of the same.

Met my buddy Tom Lacks at Alum Creek Reservoir on Friday evening. After catching a few nice smallies on some points, we decided to hit up cheshire road for some buzzbait action. Jesus! It was nutty! By the time I left the water at 7am the next morning we had caught close to 50 bass and I am not even exagerating when I say that we didnt go more then 10 minutes all night long without getting bit. It was insane. We didnt ever get into any monsters but we did get a couple of 3 lbers.

Sunday morning, the wife and I hit Deercreek over by Mount Sterling. I promised my wife that we would only stay long enough for me to fill out a limit. That sort of backfired because I filled out a limit in about an hour and a half. Four of which were on the buzzbait and one on a shakeyhead. I hadnt planned on staying all day anyway because I had no intention of dealing with the boat traffic so I was glad it didnt take long to get my limit. Spent another few hours scouting areas to fish deep and then we were gone. Long before the hoards of jet boats and Erie specials showed up.

Tip of the day, if you want to keep your groove on during the hot summer months, dont forget about fishing at night. Its relaxing, its quiet and its filled with some crazy action. Black buzzbaits, black spinnerbaits, walking baits like zara spooks or lucky craft gunfish are awesome, big worms fished slow are also a sweet deal. Hell, you can even go old school and heave a black jitterbug. Just remember, topwater when your near riprap and shakeyhead worms when your on a shallow rocky point. Youll wipe them out. I think later next week I will tell you the best ways that I know to make night fishing work, not everybody is into it but its easier then it sounds.

S.T.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment