Sunday, July 31, 2011

Warrior Baits Tournament...

WOW!  The lake is insane. I had never been there before and I had heard alot of great things about Mosquito but I guess you really dont grasp the awesomeness until you experience it for yourself. I want to start this post off by saying that my goal for this weekend was to have fun so practice and pre-fishing was a little different then what I would have done for other tournaments. I took my brother with me and I had hoped that he could catch as many fish as me or more so burning fish ultimately became unimportant to me. I started off thinking that I didnt want to stick a bunch of fish but what fun is that so I decided to forget all that and just start wrecking them and thats what we did. We caught 20 keepers before 8 am on friday during practice before we finally decided to cool it on the area we were fishing and try some different stuff. We continued to catch fish all day long doing multitudes of techniques in tons of areas. We found some great structure to fish deep, found lots of weedbeds to abuse shallow and everything seemed to work. Our best 5 fish on friday weighed in at between 11 and 12lbs and we had a great plan despite a wicked change in weather that was coming. Our plan was built around the change in weather and ultimately it worked but there was adjustments we had to make that we did not plan.

On friday, the sky was cloudy, it rained, there was a front moving through and we knew it would change some things. Saturday was supposed to be blue skies and hot, which it was but not untill after the fog was gone. A fog delay along with an "idle only" period until 9 oclock essentially eliminated 2 hours of our gameplan and only left us about 30 minutes to employ the first stage of our plan which was working buzzbaits to get a limit early. We still managed to get a decent limit in those 30 minutes but if we would have had the 2.5 hours we expected to have, I think we would have been in alot better shape. Stage II of the plan was to flip a finesse jig and shakeyhead around some rock, that also worked as my bro wacked the biggest fish in a sack on a finesse jig (2.6lbs). After that fish, we full expected to catch  a few more of those but it never transpired. We culled up numerous times but it was by ounces and not by pounds. At the end of the day, we weighed in 7.74lbs and finished 29th out of 90+ teams. One three pound fish would have pushed us up into the top ten but thats how tournament fishing goes.

All in all it was SO much fun. We had our chances and things just didnt work out. Cant wait to get up there again. It was a great event and I was proud to be apart of it.

Special thanks to Jaime Norman for running the tournament, this guy is tireless and runs a great tournament. If you are interested in making all your money back tournament fishing, check out his circuit at http://www.ombtt.com/, they pay back 100%, its the best team tournament trail in Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment