Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Boating on the EDGE!

In Ohio, we have to deal with lots of nonsense when it comes to boating. Standing timber, rocks, stumps, points and idiots on jet skis are among the many problems we deal with as bass fisherman and all that is magnified due to the minimal size of our lakes. When I arrived in Florida, one of the bits of advice I got from more then a few people was "dont be afraid to run in shallow water". Fair enough I thought, I can handle that, but it got driven into my brain even after I had accepted the fact that I have to be on plane no matter how shallow the water. Everyone that I talked to said "if you can see water, then you can run it", there is very little "no wake" zones down there and if you are idling around because the water is only a foot deep then your going to waste alot of fishing time. Again, you try this in Ohio and your lower unit is going to get confiscated by a stump at some point.

The place that I was heading to on the first day of the tournament is called Tiger Lake, its about 35 miles from the launch ramp and you can only get to it by running through a shallow creek that is about 20 feet wide but its about 2 miles long. If I were going to fish in Tiger Lake then I would have to run the creek on plane because if I didnt, I was going to lose about an hour of fishing time (30 mins in 30 mins out). I tried to explain to people what it was like and I really couldnt put it into words. Then my brother called me, he said "you got to watch this video of this jet boat".  This was me in Tiger creek on the first day of the Lake Toho B.A.S.S. southern open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0-Oq1F2qY

No comments:

Post a Comment